Revised: 07-12-05 (5:00 p.m.)
AGENDA FOR THE
TO BE HELD JULY 14, 2005 AT 6:00 P.M.
IN THE CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CALL TO ORDER.
Reverend Endia Scruggs
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE.
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
a. Regular Meeting held June 23, 2005.
4. RESOLUTIONS AND SPECIAL RECOGNITIONS.
1. Adoption and Presentation.
a. Resolution recognizing Mrs. Janice Summerhill for her outstanding service to the community and the Huntsville City Schools. (Showers)
b. Resolution congratulating Mr. DeLaney “Ben” Casey for his contributions to the community and upon his appointment to the Alabama Disabilities Commission by the Governor’s Office. (Showers)
2. Adoption Only.
c. Other Special Recognitions.
5. BUSINESS WITH OUTSIDE LEGAL REPRESENTATION.
6. PUBLIC HEARINGS.
a. Public hearings to be held.
1. Public hearing on a resolution
authorizing the demolition of an unsafe building constituting a public nuisance
2. Public hearing on a resolution authorizing the City Clerk Treasurer to assess the cost of boarding and securing against certain properties. (Community Development)
3. Public hearing on a resolution authorizing the City Clerk Treasurer to assess the cost of cutting and removing of grass and weeds against certain properties. (Community Development)
b. Public Hearings to be Set
1. Resolution to set a public hearing on an ordinance zoning newly annexed land lying generally at the east end of Willow Creek Drive and east of Taylor Road to Residence 1-B, District. (August 23, 2005) (Planning)
2. Resolution to set a public hearing on an ordinance to rezone land lying generally on the south side of Hobbs Road and the west side of Bell Mountain Road from Highway Business C-4 District to Residence 2-B District. (August 23, 2005) (Planning)
3. Resolution to set a public hearing on amendments to the Zoning Ordinance concerning ARTICLE 50 – RESEARCH PARK DISTRICT REGULATIONS: Section 50.1, Section 50.6, subsection 50.6.1; ARTICLE 51 – RESEARCH PARK WEST DISTRICT REGULATIONS: Section 51.1, Section 51.6, subsection 51.6.1, Section 51.8; ARTICLE 52 – RESEARCH PARK APPLICATIONS DISTRICT REGULATIONS: Section 52.1, Section 52.6, subsection 52.6.1; and ARTICLE 71 – SIGN CONTROL REGULATIONS: Section 72.4, subsection 72.4.8. (August 23, 2005) (Planning)
4. Resolution to set a public hearing on an ordinance zoning newly annexed land lying generally north of U.S. Highway 72 West, along Limestone Creek and on the west and east sides of Old Railroad Bed Road to Residence 1-A District, Residence 1-B District, and Neighborhood Business C-1 District. (August 23, 2005) (Planning)
5. Resolution to set a public hearing to consider request to lift certain restrictions placed on certain lands within Cummings Research Park West in accordance with Resolution No. 83-579, as amended by Resolution No. 89-396. (July 25, 2005) (Planning)
7. COMMUNICATIONS AND REPORTS.
a. Communications from the Public.
a. Introduction of an ordinance amending the water rates for customers of Huntsville Utilities. (Utilities: Water)
b. Resolution authorizing the approval of expenditures for contract engineering & labor to prepare new electric distribution substation in a rocky slope area. (W.O. 22289-G) (Utilities: Electric)
c. Resolution authorizing relocation of
overhead electric system on
d. Resolution authorizing purchase of
approximately one acre of property on
e. Resolution authorizing construction of 3-phase distribution system to provide service to new school. (W.O. 24233-N) (Utilities: Electric)
f. Resolution authorizing installation of a capacitor bank at Northwest Delivery Point. (W.O. 24327-G) (Utilities: Electric)
g. Resolution authorizing construction of
a 3-phase overhead feeder circuit for system improvement in
h. Resolution authorizing reconductoring of 2 miles of #4/0 overhead wire with #477 overhead wire. (W.O. 24340-G) (Utilities: Electric)
i. Resolution authorizing the relocation
of 3000' of 46kV transmission and 23kV distribution underbuild along
j. Resolution authorizing construction of
overhead 3-phase feeder circuit to improve service to customers in
k. Resolution authorizing relocation of 46kV transmission & 12kV distribution along Jordan Ln, between Mastin Lake & Nick Fitchard Rd. for State Project. (W.O. 24362-G) (Utilities: Electric)
l. Resolution authorizing the
installation of approx. 19,800' of 6" PE gas pipe along
9. BOARD APPOINTMENTS.
a. Board Appointments to be Voted on.
b. Board Appointment Nominations.
1. Nomination of Mr. Ron Reed for the reappointment to the Von Braun Center Board of Control for a term to expire August 27, 2009. (Kling)
2. Nomination of Mr. David Hinkle for appointment to the Advisory Commission on Accessibility for a partial term to expire January 10, 2006. (Kling)
3. Nomination of Mr. Frank Caprio for reappointment to the Huntsville-Madison County Emergency Management Board for a term to expire July 1, 2010. (Showers)
10. APPROVAL OF EXPENDITURES.
a. Resolution authorizing the expenditures for payments. (Finance Committee)
b. Finance Committee Report.
11. COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR.
12. COMMUNICATIONS FROM COUNCIL MEMBERS.
13. UNFINISHED BUSINESS ITEMS FOR ACTION.
14. NEW BUSINESS ITEMS FOR INTRODUCTION.
a. Introduction of an ordinance concerning
the annexation of land lying generally along the east and west sides of
b. Introduction of an Ordinance to amend Ordinance 89-79, Classification and Salary Plan Ordinance, to create positions in Water Pollution Control, Planning and General Services. (Human Resources)
15. NEW BUSINESS ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION OR ACTION.
a. Ordinance declaring certain equipment
surplus and to be sold at auction (GovDeals.com) or in the best interest and
most cost effective way for the city of
b. Ordinance to amend Article II, Trees, of Chapter 27, Vegetation, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Huntsville, Alabama, as adopted on April 24, 2003. (Recreation and Landscape Management)
c. Ordinance declaring certain property as surplus and authorizing its disposal. (Recreation and Landscape Management)
d. Resolution authorizing the Mayor to enter into an agreement with Huntsville Tennis Center Board of Control to convey surplus property. (Recreation and Landscape Management)
e. Resolution authorizing the Mayor to
enter into an agreement with Gaylord Hotel Music City Bowl for the City of
f. Resolution authorizing the Mayor to enter into an agreement with North Alabama Baseball Association for football officials. (Recreation and Landscape Management)
g. Resolution authorizing the acceptance of a revised grant from Alabama Department of Homeland Security. (Emergency Management)
h. Resolution authorizing the acceptance of donation to Administration, Operation Green Team, in the amount of $400.00 from Keep America Beautiful to be used at the discretion of Operation Green Team towards any programs; donation to Recreation and Landscape Management in the amount of $1,000.00 from the Huntsville Optimist Club to help offset the cost of Wally Vess Youth Fishing Rodeo. (Finance)
i. Ordinance to amend Ordinance No. 04-803, adopted and approved on October 14, 2004, by changing appropriated funding and the authorized personnel strength within various departments. (Finance)
j. Resolution authorizing the Mayor to enter into agreements with the low bidder meeting specifications as outlined in the attached Summary of Bids for Acceptance. (Finance)
k. Resolution authorizing the Mayor to enter into an agreement with Civil Solutions,
L.L.P. for Landscape Architectural and Engineering Design Services for Dry Creek Greenway, Project No. 65-05-WP02. (Engineering)
l. Resolution authorizing the Mayor to enter into an agreement with Garver Engineers, L.L.C. for Engineering Services for Beasley/Waddell at Highway 72 Sanitary Sewer, Project No. 65-05-SS17. (Engineering)
m. Resolution authorizing the Mayor to
amend the contract with Reed Contracting Services, Inc. for
n. Ordinance to amend Section 25-136 of the Code of Ordinances to Implement Phase I of a One-Way Street Network in the downtown core area of the City of Huntsville. (Engineering)
o. Resolution authorizing the Mayor to
enter into an agreement with Garver Engineers, L.L.C. for Engineering Design Services for
p. Resolution authorizing the City Attorney to seek a forfeiture surety bond issued by Platte River Insurance Company. (City Attorney)
q. Resolution authorizing the Clerk-Treasurer to invoke subdivision sidewalk letter of credit for Branum Commercial Subdivision. (City Attorney)
16. LEGAL DEPARTMENT ITEMS/TRANSACTIONS.
a. Vacation of Easements
1. Resolution authorizing the vacation of Utility and Drainage
Easements, around Lots 1 and 2, and around Lots 4 and 5, Cummings Research Park
2. Ordinance authorizing the vacation of a 10-foot Utility and
Drainage Easement along the west side of Lot 3, Phoenix Park, Plat Book 23,
Page 37. (
b. Vacation of rights-of-way
1.a. Resolution consenting to the vacation
of 100-foot right-of-way for the re-platting of Cummings Research Park West,
Blocks 1, 4, 5, and 6. (
2.b. Resolution authorizing the vacation of
100-foot right-of-way for the re-platting of Cummings Research Park West,
Blocks 1, 4, 5, and 6. (
c. Deeds for acceptance
1. Parcel Plainsmen Development, LLC
2. Right-of-Way Hampton Cove Land Company, Inc.
d. Routine bond satisfactions
e. Liquor bond mortgages
17. NON-ROSTER COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE PUBLIC.