HOME : DEPARTMENTS : CITY COUNCIL : DISTRICT 1
Dr. Richard Showers, Sr., Representing District 1, was first elected to the City Council in 1988. Dr. Showers retired on July 1, 2005 from the Huntsville City Schools where he was a Career Technical Education Teacher.
Representing District 1, was first elected to the City Council in 1988. He
is currently employed by the Huntsville Center for Technology as a basic
career education teacher.
Dr. Showers has served on numerous planning
commissions and boards that are instrumental to the successful growth and
development of Huntsville. These boards include: Planning Commission,
Metropolitan Planning Committee, Clean Community Committee, Historical
Preservation Authority, Zoning Subcommittee, and the Local Emergency
Planning Committee and the Top of Alabama Regional Council of Governments.
He is currently a member of the National Education Association, Alabama
Education Association, Huntsville Education Association, Community Action
Agency Trustee Board, Alabama A & M University Trustee Board. Dr. Showers
is a deacon at the Union Chapel Missionary Baptist Church. He is the
president of the Alabama State Missionary Baptist Laymen's Movement, first
vice president of the National Baptist Layman's Movement, and a trustee at
Selma University, Selma, Alabama. He is a life member of the NAACP, life
member of the Alabama A&M Alumni Association; life member of Kappa Alpha Psi
He and his wife, Bettye Ann, are the proud parents of
• B.S. - Agribusiness Education, Alabama A & M
• M.S. - Trade and Industrial Education, Alabama A & M
• Honorary Doctorate, Humanities
• Adult & Continuing Education, Auburn University
• Instructor: Vocational and Adult Education, Elementary School
Technology, Middle School Industrial and Earth Science
• Educational Coordinator: Adult Education.
• Presidential Citation as a Distinguished Alumni of Alabama A & M
University by the National Association of Equal Opportunity in Higher
• Overall winner for politics by the Twenty Distinguished Men of Huntsville in 1993.
• Received the Annual Greater Interdenominational Ministerial Fellowship Award in 2002.
• Martin Luther King, Jr. Unity Award, 1997, presented at the Martin
Luther King, Jr. Unity Breakfast sponsored by the Alpha Phi Alpha
• NAACP Award for Excellence presented at the 1998 NAACP Life Membership
City of Huntsville Department of Parks and Recreation - OPEN HOUSE - Monday, the 14th of October, 2013
NOTICE: District 1 Town Hall Meetings, Councilman Richard Showers, Sr. , District One Representative:
Large Community Room
The Showers Center
4600 Blue Springs Road
Huntsville, Alabama 35810
DISTRICT ONE TOWN HALL MEETING
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - MORE DETAILS
March 5, 2013 - Cancelled More Details
June 4, 2013 - Cancelled More Details
August 13, 2013 - More Details
September 9, 2013 - Cancelled More Details
September 17, 2013 - More Details
October 14, 2013 - City of Huntsville Department of Parks and Recreation - OPEN HOUSE
October 22, 2013 - Meeting to Discuss Renaming Church Street in honor of the Reverend Dr. Joseph Lowery
December 3, 2013 - Cancelled More Details
The public is invited to attend.