- Text Only
City of Huntsville, AL
 Mayor Tommy Battle  |Employment  |Departments  |I Want To...  |City Government  |For Residents  |For Visitors  |Election Information

Engineering Department

        Recent Press Releases

Shields Rd closure and detour [MORE INFO]

Pelham Ave at Davis Cir-temporary closure [MORE INFO]

Lowe Ave closure between Gallatin and Williams [MORE INFO]


The Engineering Division is responsible for drainage improvement projects to improve existing drainage facilities and ensuring that new development includes storm drainage facilities and storm runoff management that meets requirements of the City of Huntsville storm water regulations. Drainage problems caused from heavy rainfall such as flooding of a house or business, extreme street flooding, or storm water getting extremely high and creating a hazard to the public are handled by the Public Works Services Division after the event has occurred. Please contact the City of Huntsville Police Department (256) 722-7100 or call 911 if there is an emergency requiring immediate response for safety. IMPROVEMENTS TO EXISTING DRAINAGE FACILITIES
The Engineering Division handles drainage problems that require an improvement to the existing drainage system. The City has a Capital Improvement Drainage Improvement Program that is funded to address miscellaneous drainage improvement projects.

The Engineering Division manages the City of Huntsville's Capital Drainage Improvement Program which is funded by the City to address drainage issues that require improvements to the City's existing drainage infrastructure. The Capital Drainage Improvement Program includes large flood control projects such as the Aldridge Creek Channelization Project and small drainage projects that require only minor improvements and minor alterations to the existing drainage system. The Engineering Division also manages engineering watershed modeling projects for all of the city's major watersheds which is funded through the Capital Improvement Drainage Program.

The Engineering Division handles drainage problems created by new construction and land disturbance activity including problems resulting from the construction of new streets, subdivisions, commercial developments, and new homes.

The Engineering Division reviews drainage plan submittals for new subdivisions, commercial developments, and new streets to verify that the design conforms to regulations stated in the City of Huntsville Storm Water Management Manual. Conditions of approval are imposed for areas of concern related to storm water runoff. Careful attention is directed toward drainage calculations and computer modeling of storm water runoff in order to prevent future drainage problems. Specific concerns are placed on the impact that increased runoff may have on existing drainage facilities and the erosion and sediment problems usually created by new construction. The City's Storm Water Management Manual places restrictions on increased runoff created by the new development and requires erosion and sediment control measures be implemented and maintained during the construction process.

The Engineering Division handles permits for new development. Grading Permits are issued by the Engineering Division for land disturbance activities to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Storm Water Management Manual. A Grading Permit, Building Permit, or Subdivision Construction Permit must be obtained before any land disturbance commences unless exempt by the Storm Water Management Manual. Grading Permits are required for all land disturbance activity including excavation, clearing, filling, grading, and drainage-related work unless exempt. Grading Permits and building permits are not approved by the Engineering Division until construction plans and calculations are reviewed and all city drainage requirements are met.




Categories listed below. Contact appropriate departments.

Public Works Department
Telephone: (256) 883-3944
email: jackie.burgreen@huntsvilleal.gov

Maintenance items on existing properties such as:
  • Ditches stopped up and overgrown
  • Trees along drainage ditch need cutting
  • Inlets clogged by debris
  • Broken pipe, grates, lids, and gutters
  • Storm drain lids and covers are off/missing
  • Standing water

  • Erosion problems on existing ditches

    Flooding created by fences blocking flow

    Drainage problems in existing developments not associated with any new development

    Holes in yards/lawns over existing pipe
    Engineering Division
    Telephone: (256) 427-5300
    email: marty.calvert@huntsvilleal.gov

    Drainage problems associated with new residential development, commercial development, subdivision development or new street construction such as:
  • Storm water runoff
  • Mud resulting from storm water runoff
  • Storm water runoff from new house(s)

  • Erosion from new development and/or buildings

    Flooding in a
  • house/business
  • garage/storm shed
  • street (exceeding 6" depth)

  • Request for ditches to be piped or improved

    BigPictureHuntsville.com Imagine Huntsville? Mayor Tommy Battle
    City Of Huntsville Huntsville eGOV
    Huntsville Connect: Submit Service Requests
    Huntsville's Online - Forms/Applications
    Alabama's Paperless Filing - Pay Taxes
    Inspection Requests - Details
    Municipal Court - Pay tickets online
    Huntsville Police Records - Search
    Portable Storage (PSS) - Permits
    Search City Laws - Online Database
    Electronic Plans - Review Submittal

    Hunstville Facebook HunstvilleCity Twitter Huntsville YouTube Huntsville Instagram
    HSV1 - City of Huntsville ADA Compliance
    only search HuntsvilleAL.gov
    Service Requests
    HSV Connect    Healthy Huntsville

    ADA :: Publications/Documents :: City Council Agendas/Documents :: HSV1 / Video on Demand :: About the Logo :: Moving to Huntsville?
    © Copyright All Rights Reserved | City of Huntsville, Alabama | Privacy Policy | Site Map | COH E-mail | COH ESS | COH Intranet