|WALNUT GROVE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
On July 19, 1847, Christopher and Mary Harless Sears deeded two acres (with meeting house, brush-arbor, and camp-stand) to the Elders of the Walnut Grove Society of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for one penny. The Union Army burned the original church in 1862. A walnut tree with scars from the fire still bears walnuts. A ring used to tether horses during services has grown into the tree and is still visible. The original bell, hand-dug well, and pre-Civil War cemetery also remain.
View Larger Map
|©2010 City of Huntsville, Alabama | GIS Division. 308 Fountain Circle, Huntsville, AL 35802 - 256.427.5100|