Civic Engagement Academy
The Civic Engagement Academy (CEA) is a City of Huntsville initiative designed to introduce residents to City government through a series of integrated classes that are interactive, dynamic, fun and creative. Participants will have the opportunity to engage with City leaders and learn multiple ways of getting involved with local government. CEA is a free, six-week program offered each spring and fall that incorporates both classroom and interactive instruction. Cohorts meet every Tuesday from 6-8 p.m.
- Introduce a broad spectrum of residents to City leaders and departments to build relationships and improve access to City government
- Make City government better understood and more easily accessible
- Acquaint residents with municipal leaders and the departments they serve
- Close the gap between what you think we do and what we actually do
- Showcase how departments enhance quality of life, are responsible and responsive to citizens, and welcome involvement from community
FALL 2022 COHORT TOPICS & DATES
Sept. 27 – Orientation
Oct. 4 – Our City at Work at City Hall
Oct. 11 – Our City Growing & Playing
Oct. 18 – Our City Safe, Secure, Responding
Oct. 25 – Our City Communicating & Caring
Nov. 1 – Our City Maintaining
Nov. 15 – Our City Engaging
- At least 19 years old
- Resident, college student or business owner in the city limits of Huntsville
- Aspiring or established community influencer
- Possess a desire to increase community involvement
- Must complete at least five out of the six classes to graduate
IMPORTANT DATES FOR FALL 2022
Application deadline: Aug. 8
Orientation: Sept. 27, 6-7 p.m.
Cohort begins: Oct. 4, 6-8 p.m.
READY TO GET STARTED? Complete Your Application
For more information, contact the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at 256-883-3993 or email Director Kenny Anderson at Kenny.Anderson@HuntsvilleAL.gov.