- This event has passed.
When: June 11 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
One event on June 11, 2022 at 8:00 am
One event on June 12, 2022 at 8:00 am
The Huntsville Aquatics Center will host a lifeguarding class June 10-12, 2022. All registration must be done in person.
DATES & TIMES FOR IN-PERSON LEARNING
- Friday, June 10: 4-8 p.m
- Saturday, June 11: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday, June 12: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- All fees must be paid in person at Huntsville Aquatic Center.
- Red Cross fees are $41
- Pool fees are $100
- Required documentation signed either by the student or guardian, if the student is under the age of 19 years old.
Participants must be at least 15 years old before the last day of class and be able to pass a prerequisite skill evaluation on the first day of class by completing the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds, that includes the following steps:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
To complete the course, students must attend the entire course, participate in all skill sessions/drills, activities and scenarios, demonstrate competency in all required skills and scenarios and pass the final written exams with a minimum grade of 80%.
Those who successfully complete the course will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for two years.
More information, including details regarding online coursework, may be found here.
Call the Huntsville Aquatics Center at 256-883-3700 for more information.