Town of New Market
Settled by Pioneers early as 1806. Voting Precinct established 1827. Town incorporated 1837.
George Smith, major landowner of town site, built first log house and established mercantile business, 1814. John Miller excavated millrace, erected gristmill and sawmill, 1819. William Hayter, first Postmaster, 1827 – 1839.
Town became a thriving commercial center for a prosperous agricultural community, once known as “The Watercress Capital of the World;” greatly respected for development of religious and educational endeavors, and furnishing political leadership in local and state government.
ALABAMA HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION – 1989