Green Team’s primary goal is to increase litter awareness in our community. If you see someone litter, please call the Litter Hotline at (256) 532-5326, (53-CLEAN), to report the occurrence or use the Huntsville Connect Customer Service program.
SOURCES OF LITTER
Littering is dirty, dangerous and against the law.
- Commercial Refuse Sources, Including Dumpsters
- Household Trash Handling
- Construction/Demolition Sites
- Uncovered Vehicles
- Loading Docks
CIGARETTE LITTER PREVENTION PROGRAM
Cigarette butts are the most littered item across the U.S. and cause significant issues for ground water. Free pocket and automobile/boat ash buckets are available for residents of Huntsville through a grant from Keep America Beautiful and Keep Alabama Beautiful.
To request a Free Pocket Ashtray or a Free Auto/Boat Ash Bucket, please email Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
LITTER AND DUMPING LAWS
Green Team works with enforcement agencies to develop comprehensive litter and illegal dumping ordinances. Did you know…
- you can be fined a minimum of $500 for littering.
- it’s against the law to dump any debris on public or private property.
- spillage of materials from vehicles on public streets is illegal.
- it’s against the law for contractors to place debris on the street for collection.
- we are all required to close and maintain trash and debris containers and that it’s against the law to scatter container contents or to permit container contents which have been scattered to remain on your property.
- it’s a requirement that construction waste placed by persons other than contractors be containerized and
- failure to maintain your property free of waste is illegal.
- in many instances, it’s illegal to place handbills on public or private property, including motor vehicles but it is OK to directly distribute and place handbills in a manner designed to prevent scattering.