THE HUNTSVILLE SLAVE CEMETERY
On September 3, 1818, the Huntsville City Comissioners purchased two acres of land from Leroy Pope for a “burying ground” for slaves. This cemetary was located within the NE quarter of Section 1, Township 4, Range 1 West of the Base Meridian. It was affectionately know as “Georgia” within the black community. The cemetary continued to be used from 1818 until 1870 when Glenwood Cemetary was designated as the city’s burial ground for African Americans. No known records have survived.
ALABAMA HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION – 2001