Huntsville Transit Strategic Safety Plan
Huntsville Transit has adopted its new agency safety plan as required by the Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP) final rule (49 CFR Part 673). This plan will be implemented over the next several years and will help us continue in our mission to provide the safest service possible to the public.
We appreciate the support of the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) who provided technical assistance to help us complete this plan, which was adopted by the Huntsville City Council on June 11, 2020.
In keeping with the requirements provided by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), our safety plan includes but is not limited to:
• An approval by the agency’s Accountable Executive and the Huntsville City Council.
• The designation of a Chief Safety Officer and identification of important safety roles for key staff.
• The documented processes of the agency’s Safety Management System (SMS), including our agency’s Safety Management Policy and processes for Safety Risk Management, Safety Assurance, and Safety Promotion.
• An employee hazard identification and safety reporting program.
• Performance targets based on the safety performance measures established in FTA’s National Public Transportation Safety Plan (NSP).
• Criteria to address all applicable requirements and standards set forth in FTA’s Public Transportation Safety Program and the NSP.
• A process and timeline for conducting an annual review and update of the safety plan.
At Huntsville Transit, safety has always been our top concern and keeping our passengers and employees safe is our top priority. To enhance our safety efforts, this plan uses a systematic, data driven approach that will help us stay ahead of potential problems, reduce risk, and improve the quality of service we provide to the public. It maintains open lines of communication inside our agency allowing us to engage everyone in finding safety solutions. Plan implementation also includes documenting our actions and reporting them to FTA, ALDOT, and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).
We welcome your questions. For more information, please contact John Autry, Public Transit Manager, by e-mailing John.Autry@HuntsvilleAL.gov.