How to get rid of items NOT collected in recycling pick-up. Residents who live in apartments can also click here for a list of local recycling centers and what they accept.


Some businesses have appliance take-back programs; check their websites for details:

The Huntsville Landfill accepts appliances for a fee, recycling them through an outside contractor.

Madison County’s License Department and Operation Green Team work together to recycle old license plates. Simply place your old license plate in the blue recycling carts at any of the Madison County License Department locations


Christmas trees are collected as garbage to be placed on the curb next to your bin. Discard fake trees that are not mostly metal or rigid plastic with regular trash.


Use evergreen boughs and branches from your Christmas tree as mulch to enrich the soil in your garden or street tree beds. Just cut off the smaller branches of your Christmas tree, and remove the twigs from evergreen boughs. Lay three to four inches of these trimmings over the bare soil around street trees or in your garden. After removing the branches for mulch, you can leave your tree out for collection.

Old electronics may be taken to the Solid Waste Disposal Authority’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection drive-through facility, Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 1055 A Cleaner Way, Huntsville, AL 35805.


Consider donating furniture to Christmas Charities Year Round, Breaking Free Rescue Mission, America’s Thrift Stores, or other local charities.

Household hazardous waste products may be safely disposed of at the Solid Waste Disposal Authority’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection  drive-through facility, Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 1055 A Cleaner Way, Huntsville, AL 35805.

For more information, visit their website.

Christmas Charities Year Round recycles clothing and linens in any condition. Just bag the items, and tag them. All “usable” items should be placed in one bag and all “rags” in another. Items can be delivered weekly Monday through Friday to Christmas Charities office at 3054 Leeman Ferry Road, Suite Q, Huntsville, AL 35801.

Inkjet cartridges can be brought to Green Team at 3242 Leeman Ferry Road, Huntsville 35801. For more information call (256) 532-5326.


If not predominantly metal or rigid plastic, discard as garbage.


Terracycle collects difficult-to-recycle materials that use flexible plastic packaging, such as drink and food pouches. Schools, community groups, and individuals can sign up for Terracycle “brigades” and get credits for recycling these materials.

Empty and rinse disposable coffee pods before recycling with your metal and plastic. To ensure the best end use for your coffee pods, use a manufacturer take-back program such as nespresso.

The UPS Store and Mailboxes Etc. accept packaging peanuts and bubble wrap.


When you shop, look for products that have no packaging, or minimal packaging with single layers and single materials. Look for recyclable packaging and packaging with a high recycled content.

Buy the largest size products that are practical, if you’ll use the product and have storage space. “Economy-size” items use less packaging than multiples of the small and single-serving sizes.

Say “no bag, thanks” whenever you can. Reuse plastic bags or bring your own reusable bag.

Huntsville water is safe and healthy; use tap water instead of buying bottled water. If you are concerned about the tap water in your home, consider purchasing a water filter instead of bottled water. Some filters can be recycled through manufacturer take-back programs.

The average American family uses 1,500 bags per year. In addition to recycling and reuse options, Green Team has a program for citizens to repurpose plastic bags by crocheting them into plastic mats. Read the Green Team Plastic Bag Crochet Instructions for details.

  • Phone:


  • Address:

    Sanitation Office

    4205 East Schrimsher Lane

    Huntsville, AL 35805

    View Map

  • Email:

    Keith Robertson


  • Hours:

    Monday – Thursday, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.

HSV Connect

Report a problem or submit a service request using Huntsville Connect

Get Started