ADA Public Transit Complaint Procedures
The following information outlines the ADA complaint procedures related to providing programs, services, and benefits. However, it does not deny the complainant the right to file formal complaints with the City of Huntsville, Alabama Department of Transportation, the Secretary of the US Department of Transportation, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Federal Transit Administration (FTA), or to seek private counsel for complaints alleging discrimination, intimidation or retaliation of any kind that is prohibited by law.
The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that no person in the United States, on the grounds of an individual’s disability, be excluded from, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination, under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
1. Any person who believes that they have been subjected to discrimination may file a written complaint with the Director of Parking & Public Transit, Huntsville Transit. Federal and State law requires complaints be filed within one-hundred eighty (180) calendar days of the last alleged incident.
2. The complainant may complete the ADA Complaint Form. Please, attach any significant and related documents, pictures, or file to this form. Printing the completed form is also available. Please, remember to ‘Submit & Sign’ the form from the lower right-hand corner.
3. The complainant may request the complaint form from the Huntsville Transit offices at 500 B Church Street, Huntsville, AL 35801, or call 256-427-6811.
4. The complainant may also submit a written statement that contains all the information identified in Section 5 below:
5. The complaint will include the following information:
- Name, address, and telephone number of the complainant.
- The basis of the complaint, (individuals’ disability).
- The date or dates on which the alleged discriminatory event or events occurred.
- The nature of the incident that led the complainant to feel discrimination was a factor.
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of persons who may have knowledge of the event.
- Other agencies or courts where complaint may have been filed and a contact name.
- Complainant’s signature and date.
- If the complainant is unable to write a complaint, the Huntsville Transit staff will assist the complainant. If requested by complainant, Huntsville Transit will provide a language or sign interpreter.
6. The complaint may be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the following address:
|Quisha Bryant, Esq., Director
City of Huntsville, Huntsville Transit
500 B Church Street, Huntsville, AL 35801
(256) 427-6869 (fax)
7. Complainants have the right to complain directly to the appropriate federal agency however, they must do so within one-hundred eighty (180) calendar days of the last alleged incident.
8. Huntsville Transit will begin an investigation within fifteen (15) working days of receipt of a complaint.
9. Huntsville Transit will contact the complainant in writing no later than thirty (30) working days after receipt of complaint for additional information, if needed to investigate the complaint. If the complainant fails to provide the requested information in a timely basis, Huntsville Transit may administratively close the complaint.
10. Huntsville Transit will complete the investigation within ninety (90) days of receipt of the complaint. A written investigation report will be prepared by the investigator. The report shall include a summary description of the incident, findings, and recommendations for disposition.
11. The Director will review the report. A closing letter and exit interview will be provided to the complainant. The respondent will also receive a copy of the closing letter. Each will have five (5) working days from receipt of the report to respond. If either party responds negatively or has additional information to provide, an informal meeting will be arranged by the Director of Parking & Public Transit, Huntsville Transit. If neither party responds, the complaint will be closed.
12. The investigation report with recommendations and corrective actions taken will be forwarded to the appropriate city, state or federal agency, the complainant, and the respondent.
13. Huntsville Transit will advise complainants of their appeal rights to the appropriate federal agency.
ADA COMPLAINT FORM
Please provide the following information necessary to process your complaint. Assistance is available upon request. Complete this form online or print, mail or deliver to:
Quisha Bryant, Esq., Director
City of Huntsville, Huntsville Transit
500 B Church Street
Huntsville, AL 35801