City Services Impacted by COVID-19
The City of Huntsville is working to keep municipal services functioning throughout the coronavirus pandemic. We have adopted protocols and health care precautions as mandated by the State Health Department and CDC. While our offices are open during normal business hours, we encourage the public to do business with us online or by phone and email.
- Animals Services is open; however, visitors are asked to call ahead. More information HERE.
- Clerk-Treasurer – Normal day-to-day services provided. There is a kiosk in the lobby of City Hall with a “Drop Box” for payments. Business License applications and renewal forms are also available in the lobby. For those who need to come to the Clerk-Treasurer offices on the 3rd floor, please call the office ahead of your visit. Face coverings are requested.
- Taxpayer Services – For questions requiring personal assistance, please call 256-427-5070 or email Financetax@huntsvilleal.gov. Representatives are available to assist during regular business hours. For submitting tax returns and payments in person, a locked dropbox is available just inside the lobby of the Municipal Building so you can safely leave for your returns and payments for processing. If you experience issues filing returns through the State of Alabama One Spot system, you may download a form here for mailing directly to the city.
- Procurement Services – A box is available on the first floor at the front desk to drop off bids, proposals and prequalification’s. This box is checked several times a day to sign in any bid documents received.All bid, proposal and prequalification submittals can also be mailed by UPS, FedEx or USPS. These documents cannot be received electronically per State of Alabama bid law.Public bid openings are currently still being held at City Hall, 1st Floor, Council Chambers. Areas are marked where the public can sit and no more than 25 people total will be able to attend.
- Jobs and Employee Services – Normal day-to-day services provided.
- Landscape and Tree Maintenance – Day-to-day services are provided but with a limited number of employees. Parks and roadside are being maintained on a 2-week mowing cycle. Trees will be maintained on an as-needed basis. Trees deemed dangerous will be handled.
- Green Team – Recycling drop-offs for plastic bags, plastic caps, old license plates, and inkjet cartridges should be left outside of the main office located at 3242 Leeman Ferry Road. The gated entrance and natural playground at Hays Nature Preserve are closed. Green Team activities and classes at Hays and Goldsmith have been suspended. Trails and greenways are still open under social distancing guidelines. The parking lot behind Publix is still available for access.
- Cemetery – City cemeteries remain open. Families are required to social distance and no more than 10 people can be at the graveside. The Cemetery office is not selling property unless it is an immediate burial need.
- Municipal Court has reopened. More information HERE.
Parks & Recreation
- Most Parks and Recreation amenities are open. More information HERE.
- Huntsville Transit has resumed its regularly published schedules. More information HERE.
- Huntsville Police – Normal day-to-day services provided.
- Huntsville Fire & Rescue – Normal day-to-day services provided.
Public Works and Sanitation
- Garbage and trash pickup will continue. Personnel shifts and additional bulk waste may cause some delays. Cans and debris should be left curbside until crews pick up.
- Public Works – Normal day-to-day operations continue.
- Building Inspections – Normal day-to-day services provided. Encourage On-Line Permitting (Drop off/Pickup areas provided in front office for plan submittals/permits)
- Engineering Department – Normal day-to-day services provided. Encourage On-Line Permitting (Drop off/Pickup areas provided in front office for plan submittals/permits)
- Planning/Zoning Department – Normal day-to-day services provided. (Drop off/Pickup areas provided in front office for plan submittals/applications)
- Community Development – Normal day-to-day services provided. (Drop off/Pickup areas provided in front office for plan submittals/applications)
- Natural Resources – Normal day-to-day services provided. Call main number to schedule appointments (by phone) or general assistance.
- Water Pollution Control – Normal business hours. No disruption in service or after hours availability.