Tax Forms & E-Filing
The City of Huntsville requires electronic filing for all Sales, Use, Rental/Lease, and Lodging tax returns.
State of Alabama’s e-filing “One Spot System”
To e-file your Huntsville return, you must set up the city/county (9501 return) to include self-administered jurisdictions. View One Spot Filing Instructions.
Standard Local Tax Return Form
Refund Petition – Direct
Tax Information Authorization
Tax Disclosure Agreement
Tax Registration Form
Change of Taxpayer Information
Petition for Review
Refund Petition – Tax Paid to Seller
Penalty Waiver Request
GASOLINE, LIQUOR, TOBACCO, WINE
The following taxes must be reported by mailing a paper form:
Gasoline Tax Form
For use by every distributor or seller of gasoline or motor fuel sold or delivered in Huntsville
Liquor Tax Form
For use by businesses that sell liquor or alcoholic drinks containing liquor
Tobacco Tax Form
For sellers of distributors of tobacco products within the Huntsville city limits
Tobacco Stamp Order Form
For the ordering of tobacco revenue stamps
Wine Tax Form
For use by all wholesale wine dealers.
RETURNS BY MAIL
If you are not required to file returns electronically with the State of Alabama, your completed tax form and check payable to City of Huntsville should be mailed to:
City of Huntsville
P.O. Box 308
Huntsville, AL 35804
All City business owners are encouraged to contact their advisers about all potential tax matters; however, business licensees should:
- Notify the Finance Department of the date sales tax collection begins.
- File tax returns at least annually. If you have questions about your filing requirements, contact the Finance Department.
- Notify the Finance Department of business information changes, including closure of the business.
- If a business is sold, it is the responsibility of the purchaser of the business (successor) to pay any outstanding tax liabilities incurred by the previous owner.
- Contact the state and counties in which you conduct business in order to determine if you should register to collect or remit their tax.
- The State of Alabama Department of Revenue offers new Business Workshops on a regular basis.
The City of Huntsville administers seven local taxes. Businesses and individuals who have transactions in Huntsville are responsible for reporting certain information and paying applicable taxes directly to the city. City ordinances, including tax law, has been codified into the Code of Ordinances of the City of Huntsville, and may be viewed in its entirety electronically, or online.
View City Laws online and select the particular code section you want to review. The starting location in the Code for all city taxes sections is as follows:
|Sales tax||Sec. 15-108|
|Use tax||Sec. 15-116|
|Rental tax||Sec. 15-124|
|Lodgings tax||Sec. 15-131|
|Liquor tax||Sec. 15-141|
|Liquid fuel (gasoline) tax||Sec. 15-191|
|Tobacco tax||Sec. 15-300|
|Wholesale wine tax||Ala. Code 28-7-16|
|Uniform Admin Procedures||Sec. 15-92|