For residents who have lost their jobs and are struggling to pay rent/mortgage, the following assistance is available:

  • First, work with your landlord or management company. Ask for a reduction in rent or perhaps ask for delay of payment. In the CARES Act, any property with a federally-backed loan has a restriction on evictions.
  • 211 can help you identify resources. 211 is a program of the United Way with access to a variety of service providers
  • Community Action Partnership (CAP) provides services to prevent homelessness (back rent and utilities). Contact 256-851-9800.
  • Fannie Mae: Renters and homeowners impacted by COVID-19 can find resources to help them stay in their homes and get help with mortgages. Homeowners can find out if they have a Fannie Mae-owned mortgage.
  • Federal Housing Financial Agency (FHFA): Homeowners impacted by COVID-19 can get mortgage help. Visitors can find additional resources.
  • Freddie MacHomeowners with Freddie Mac-owned mortgages can apply for mortgage forbearance for up to 12 months, help with waiving assessments of penalties and late fees, and more.
  • Housing and Urban Development (HUD): Homeowners can get information on COVID-19 actions, including a suspension in foreclosures and evictions for Federal Housing Administration-insured mortgages for single-family properties for the next 60 days.