1. Environment
  2. Water
  3. Storm Water

Ditches and Drainage


The Engineering Division handles drainage problems created by new construction and land disturbance activity including problems resulting from the construction of new streets, subdivisions, commercial developments, and new homes.

Engineering reviews drainage plan submittals for new subdivisions, commercial developments, and new streets to verify that the design conforms to regulations stated in the City of Huntsville Storm Water Management Manual. Conditions of approval are imposed for areas of concern related to storm water runoff. Careful attention is directed toward drainage calculations and computer modeling of storm water runoff in order to prevent future drainage problems. Specific concerns are placed on the impact that increased runoff may have on existing drainage facilities and the erosion and sediment problems usually created by new construction. The City’s Storm Water Management Manual places restrictions on increased runoff created by the new development and requires erosion and sediment control measures be implemented and maintained during the construction process.

Engineering also handles permits for new development. Grading Permits are issued by the Engineering Division for land disturbance activities to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Storm Water Management Manual. A Grading Permit, Building Permit, or Subdivision Construction Permit must be obtained before any land disturbance commences unless exempt by the Storm Water Management Manual. Grading Permits are required for all land disturbance activity including excavation, clearing, filling, grading, and drainage-related work unless exempt. Grading Permits and building permits are not approved by the Engineering Division until construction plans and calculations are reviewed and all city drainage requirements are met.



Please call 911 for any current condition with life threatening and public safety implications suc as severe flooding over a roadway, flooding into buildings, roads washed out, rescue, and evacuation.


The following drainage issues listed below may be handled through the Huntsville Connect customer service app.

  • Ditches stopped up and overgrown
  • Trees along drainage ditch need cutting
  • Inlets clogged by debris
  • Broken pipe, grates, lids, and gutters
  • Storm drain lids and covers are off/missing
  • Standing water
  • Erosion problems on existing ditches
  • Flooding created by fences blocking flow
  • Drainage problems in existing developments not associated with any new development
  • Holes in yards/lawns over existing pipe
  • Drainage problems associated with new residential development, commercial development, subdivision development or new street construction such as: Storm water runoff, Mud resulting from storm water runoff, Storm water runoff from new house(s), Erosion from new development and/or buildings
  • Flooding in a house/business, garage/storm shed, street (exceeding 6″ depth)
  • Request for ditches to be piped or improved


The Engineering Division is responsible for drainage improvement projects to improve existing drainage facilities and ensuring that new development includes storm drainage facilities and storm runoff management that meets requirements of the City of Huntsville storm water regulations.

Drainage problems caused from heavy rainfall such as flooding of a house or business, extreme street flooding, or storm water getting extremely high and creating a hazard to the public are handled by the Public Works Department after the event has occurred. Please contact the City of Huntsville Police Department (256) 722-7100 or call 911 if there is an emergency requiring immediate response for safety.


The Engineering Division handles drainage problems that require an improvement to the existing drainage system and infrastructure. The City has a Capital Improvement Drainage Improvement Program that is funded to address miscellaneous drainage improvement projects. This includes large flood control projects such as the Aldridge Creek Channelization Project and small drainage projects that require only minor improvements and minor alterations to the existing drainage system. Engineering also manages engineering watershed modeling projects for all of the city’s major watersheds.

RELATED LINKS:  Water & Sewer, Storm Water Management, ePlans Submittal

  • Phone:


  • Address:

    Water Pollution Control Office

    1800 Vermont Road,

    Huntsville, AL

    View Map

  • Hours:

    Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

HSV Connect

Report a problem or submit a service request using Huntsville Connect

Get Started