1. Environment
  2. Water
  3. Sanitary Sewer
  4. Permits & Fees

Industrial Pretreatment & Discharge Application

The Industrial Pretreatment Program administers regulations affecting businesses that discharge non-domestic wastewater into the City of Huntsville’s sanitary sewer system.


The regulations are designed to prevent businesses from discharging wastewater that could:

  • damage the City’s wastewater collection system;

  • interfere with the operation of the City’s sewage treatment plants;

  • harm collection system workers, operations and/or maintenance personnel; or

  • adversely impact the environment.


All industrial and commercial non-domestic wastewater discharges into the City’s sanitary sewer system must first be approved by Water Pollution Control (WPC). Applicants are required to submit the following:

Industrial Wastewater Discharge Application

The information provided in the application will assist in determining if a State Indirect Discharge (SID) permit is needed. If an SID permit is needed, the business will need to complete the following application through the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM).

SID Application

If you have questions about whether your business or industry should be permitted, call 256.883.3719 and ask for someone in Industrial Pretreatment.


Mail the completed Industrial Wastewater Discharge application(s) to:

Environmental Engineer
City of Huntsville, Water Pollution Control
1800 Vermont Road
Huntsville, AL 35801

  • Phone:


  • Address:

    Water Pollution Control Office

    1800 Vermont Road,

    Huntsville, AL

    View Map

  • Hours:

    Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

HSV Connect

Report a problem or submit a service request using Huntsville Connect

Get Started