A sewer tap permit is required when the plumber must make a connection to the City of Huntsville Collector or Outfall Sanitary System.

The City of Huntsville adopted by Ordinance 77-433 on October 27, 1977, the rules and regulations to charge, regulate, limit, and restrict the discharge of waste into the sanitary sewerage system of the City of Huntsville.

Article III, Section 1(a)
“It shall be unlawful for any person to connect with or maintain a connection with any sewer main within the corporate limits of the City of Huntsville, Alabama, without first having secured a permit for said connection from the Director of Public Works of the City of Huntsville, Alabama.” Permit is issued by the Engineering Division, 320 Fountain Circle, 2nd Floor, Huntsville, Alabama. (b)

“In all cases where the sewer main to which the connection is to be made has been installed at no cost to the property involved, the applicants shall before obtaining a permit from the Inspection Department, pay to the City Clerk of the City of Huntsville, Alabama, the sum of $1,000. This provision shall not apply to connections made to serve approved subdivisions where the sewer mains in said subdivision have been installed at the expense of the property served in said subdivision.”

Article III, Section 6
“The connection of the building sewer into the public sewer shall conform to the requirements of the building and plumbing code or other applicable rules and regulations of the City or the procedures set forth in appropriate specifications of the ASTM and WPCF Manual of practice No. 9. All such connections shall be made gastight and watertight. Any deviations from the prescribed procedures and materials must be approved by the Director before installation.”

If the connection is to be made to a sewer main located in the right of way of a public street, the applicant must also obtain a Street Cut Permit. Conditions as set forth in the Street Cut Permit must be adhered to. No person may construct or obstruct any Rights of Way without first having obtained one or both of the following Right of Way Permits from the Engineering Division of the City of Huntsville, Alabama.

Once the connection to the sewer main has been made, the applicant must contact the Engineering Division for an inspection of the tap prior to the restoration of the street. You may call (256) 427-5300 between the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

RELATED LINKS:  Sewer Access Fees, Street Cut Permit

  • Phone:


  • Address:

    Engineering Office

    320 Fountain Circle

    Huntsville, AL 35801

    View Map

  • Email:

  • Hours:

    Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

HSV Connect

Report a problem or submit a service request using Huntsville Connect

Get Started