Join the thousands of Huntsville residents who are looking to improve their health through fitness and diet.
Led by Mayor Tommy Battle and the City’s Parks & Recreation Department, Healthy Huntsville is sponsored by the following non-profit organizations: City of Huntsville, Huntsville Hospital, Huntsville City Schools, HudsonAlpha, and the Huntsville-Madison County Health Department. These organizations are working with the community to offer FREE programs throughout the year to help educate our citizens on wellness and good physical health. Our goal is to:
“Reduce obesity by promoting healthy eating and active lifestyles.”
WHY HEALTHY HUNTSVILLE?
Alabama is the second most obese state in the country with a rate that exceeds 30 percent. Obesity has reached epidemic proportions in Alabama, and Healthy Huntsville wants to lead the change.
“It takes time, but a lot can happen in four months,” said Mayor Battle. “A person can lose 10 or 15 pounds, they can begin to make better food choices, and they can get off that couch.”
According to Battle, Huntsville can no longer afford to ignore the impact that obesity has on the quality of our lives and our health care spending.
“We want to be the catalyst for change and to show our citizens that there is a better way. We already know that Huntsville is one of the smartest places to live in the country. If we can raise awareness about the serious health risk that obesity has on the quality and longevity of our lives and how easily those extra pounds can lead to diabetes, then we can also make Huntsville one of the fittest places.”
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE?
Healthy Huntsville focuses on the core concepts of nutrition and exercise to encourage our local residents to embrace healthy lifestyles. Healthy Huntsville will provide you with nutrition and fitness tips, healthy recipes, and more. What are some of Healthy Huntsville’s signature events that can encourage you and your family to be active?
- Scale Back Alabama, the annual statewide weight loss challenge begins each January
- Free Saturday workout classes in Big Spring Park East, hikes and yoga at the Hayes Nature Preserve, nutrition classes and exercise instruction in community centers
- The Double Helix Dash 5K walk/run through HudsonAlpha’s McMillian Park
- The Mayor’s Bike Ride and Super Saturday in the Park in May
- Walking Challenges with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama including National Walk at Lunch Day in April, and sponsored walks in the fall
- Fitness events and activities through the City’s Parks and Recreation Department at centers and locations throughout the City
These events and much more will be available to you and your family! If you would like to host a free event that meets the Healthy Huntsville mission and criteria, please contact Ashley Polesak in the Parks & Recreation Department.
Follow Healthy Huntsville on Facebook, on the City Healthy Huntsville calendar.