Volunteer at Animal Services
Our volunteers are an integral part of our program. Volunteers’ time and caring improves the quality of life for the pets that come through our shelter.
- Volunteers are needed at all times the shelter is open.
- Qualified individuals 17 years of age and older may volunteer at the shelter.
- We like to have a commitment of at least 16 hours a month. Most shifts are a minimum of 3 hours.
- Not all volunteer positions work directly in the shelter with the animals.
- There is an orientation class and a waiver of liability that must be signed.
SOME OF THE ACTIVITIES THAT DO NOT INVOLVE DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE ANIMALS
- Working at the volunteer desk
- Greeting citizens when they enter the shelter, directing them appropriately
- Processing lost & found reports
- Helping with the laundry (you do have to go into the shelter area for this)
- Assembling license stickers
- Adoption counseling
- Washing food & Water bowls (you do have to go into the shelter area for this)
- Public Awareness
- Assisting with Special Events
ACTIVITIES DIRECTLY INVOLVING THE ANIMALS
- Cleaning pens & cages
- Feeding & watering
- Walking dogs & puppies
- Socializing the pets
- Brushing & grooming the cats
- Bathing the dogs
- Teaching basic obedience to the dogs
- Assisting Off-Site Adoptions
- Adoption Counseling
- Stuffing adoption packs
OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Volunteers are also needed to foster pets while they are too young to be adopted or in need to medical recovery time. The shelter has more adoptable pets, especially puppies, than can adequately be cared for. By fostering an animal, you can provide it the necessary time to recover and grow in a safe environment until it is ready to return to the shelter. View the fostering application for more information.