All dogs & cats over the age of 4 months must be registered & licensed each year through the Huntsville Animal Services Shelter located at 4950 Triana Boulevard.
Owners will need to bring:
- Proof of current rabies vaccination, such as a copy of the certificate from your vet.
- Proof of spay/neuter (for a reduced license fee), either notated on the rabies certificate by the vet, a spay/neuter verification form, or a note from your vet.
- Payment – cash, check, credit card. Licenses for altered pets are available for a one-time fee of $35 for a lifetime license or $10 for a one-year license. If your pet is not spayed or neutered or ‘intact’ your annual license fee is $50.
Exotic Pets (as defined in the ordinance) do not require a city license, but must be registered with the City. This is an effort to know what types of exotic animals reside in our city and where they can be found. This will benefit public safety should an emergency arise. There is no fee for registering the exotic pets.
IDENTIFICATION & MICROCHIP
It is recommended that pets have both microchips and a buckle or snap collar with a personalized identification tag.
- Collars should fit snugly on the neck closer to the pet’s ears
- Identification tags should feature a few phone numbers and an address
- It is best to purchase multiple tags in case one is lost
- Remember to keep your pet’s microchip information and ID tag updated
- Register your pet’s microchip with Huntsville Animal Services by calling (256) 883.3783. We scan every stray dog and cat for a microchip!
View city regulations for pet ownership.