The primary purpose of any law enforcement agency is to safeguard the lives and property of the citizens it serves. At the Huntsville Police Department, the Evidence Unit is responsible for securing, preserving and safeguarding all evidential, in-custody and found property seized, recovered or held by the Huntsville Police Department (HPD).
Before releasing a weapon or other property, the HPD must ensure the person requesting the property is the lawful owner of the property, all facets of the law are addressed and that no weapon, in HPD’s possession, is released to any person forbidden to possess that weapon. For these reasons, the following information must be provided to HPD prior to the release of any weapon.
Please review applicable Federal and Alabama laws and follow the instructions below if you are requesting a weapon to be released from evidence.
TO RELEASE A WEAPON FROM EVIDENCE
To have a weapon released from evidence, you must be lawfully allowed to possess a firearm.
Under Title 18 of the United States Code, it is unlawful for any person to possess, transfer or cause to be transferred a firearm if the person:
- Is under federal indictment for a felony offense;
Is a fugitive from justice;
- Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant or stimulant or a narcotic drug; or
- Has been adjudicated as mentally defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
ALABAMA STATE LAW
Under Alabama law, the following persons may not possess a handgun:
- One who has been convicted in this State, or elsewhere, of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence;
- One who is a drug addict or a habitual drunkard;
- One who is a minor;
- One who has been convicted of a misdemeanor offense of domestic violence; or
- One who is subject to a valid protection order for domestic abuse.
- Complete the Weapon Release Form.
- After filling in the form, click Submit & Sign.
- Once the form is submitted and received, a background check and records review will be performed on the applicant and the weapon. Please note: this process takes a minimum of 8 weeks.
- Once the weapon is approved for release, the owner will be contacted and provided instructions to claim the weapon at the address provided on the Weapons Release Form.