Cecil Ashburn Drive
Posted on April 24, 2017
This 3.4-mile project will widen Cecil Ashburn Drive, from two to four lanes between Old Big Cove Road and Four Mile Post Road, to improve traffic flow and incorporate safety improvements. The project includes eight-foot shoulders along each side of the roadway.
Construction is set to begin January 7, 2019. The project is expected to be fully complete by May 2020. The contractor, Carcel & G Construction, will restore two lanes of travel (one lane in each direction) within 10-12 months. Project completion anticipated to extend an additional 8-10 months.
Updated December 5, 2018
COST & FUNDING
Total cost: $18 million
Source of Funding: Local & State – Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT)
Contractor: Carcel & G
This is a Restore Our Roads project.
Read more about the Cecil Ashburn Improvement project.
Aerial view of the route of the four-lane widening project for Cecil Ashburn Drive
Learn about alternate routes, safety, ride-sharing, and how to stay updated on the status of the project.
The following major corridors connect Big Cove/Hampton Cove to destinations to the west and can be used as alternative routes:
- US 431/Governor’s Drive via Governor’s Drive
- US Highway 72 via Eastern Bypass/Rock Cut Road
- South Memorial Parkway/US 231 via Hobbs Island Road
Traffic laws will be strictly enforced by Huntsville Police. Expect delays and allocate additional time during peak morning and evening travel hours. Please drive safely and courteously.
Move your wreck
If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident that has no injuries, remember to move all involved vehicles to the shoulder of the road so traffic may flow smoothly.
Help reduce traffic congestion, reduce wear and tear on your car and save on gas money by making use of City of Huntsville-vetted car and vanpooling options. Details are available at HuntsvilleAL.gov/rideshare.
Some federal employees may be eligible for reimbursement for using ride-share programs. Check with your employer to see if you’re eligible.
HOW TO STAY UPDATED
Important traffic or roadwork updates involving alternative routes will be available in real time via website, text and social media. If there are important traffic or roadwork updates involving alternative routes in the area, you can stay updated in real time via website, text and social media.
The primary information hub for all information involving the Cecil Ashburn Drive Road Improvement Project. View project updates, budget, history, design considerations and more.
View a comprehensive list of road alerts that are impacting traffic flow as well as project updates on major road construction.
- Nixle app – a downloadable app on your smartphone for updates on major traffic accidents impacting traffic flow, roadwork and more.
- Redstone Explorer – Redstone Arsenal’s notification app for installation closes, traffic accidents and other events of importance to the Arsenal and its team members.
- Waze – a GPS navigation app that provides turn-by-turn navigation information and user-submitted travel times and route details.
- Google Maps – web mapping service developed by Google offering satellite imagery, street maps and real-time traffic conditions.
Twitter users may follow the hashtag #HsvRoads for updates on roadwork impacting traffic flow in the City of Huntsville.
Download and/or print the Cecil Ashburn Info page or the Cecil Ashburn Drive Presentation.
Phone: (256) 427-5100
Updated December 3, 2018