Building License & Permits
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION
Building projects may require approval from multiple city departments, depending upon the nature and complexity of the project, including Clerk-Treasurer, Planning, Zoning, Engineering, Traffic Engineering, Inspection, Water Pollution Control, Natural Resources, and Legal. Our online project submission process will help move you through each requirement.
The City recommends a Pre-Application Review meeting for contractors and project developers before submitting an application. Zoning Administration is the first step in the building permit process. Customers applying for a building permit must receive approval from the Zoning Administrator before proceeding with building permit process.
All persons, firms, or corporations engaged in any exhibition, trade, business, vocation, occupation, profession, calling or conducting any type business within the corporate limits of the City of Huntsville, shall obtain a Business License from the City Clerk/Treasurer before engaging in business. Zoning Administration must check for zoning compliance before approving privilege licenses.
Working with sub-contractors? You must complete the Sub-contractors Schedule C form to document proof of business licenses for each sub-contractor, per project.
RESIDENTIAL OR COMMERCIAL
Review the application information for your type of project
RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY BUILDING PERMITS
For new one and two family dwellings and additions in an approved subdivision, the following information must be submitted for a building permit:
- One site plan, drawn to scale, showing the house on the lot (including measurements) and any and all easements on the lot.
- One set of plans for the dwelling to include elevations. (footing/foundation plans, floor plans, etc.)
- A completed Building Permit Application
- If the project received a Board of Zoning Adjustment variance approval, then a copy of the letter of approval must accompany the building application.
- Other items may be needed for a building permit for buildings in the 100 year flood fringe, slope development district, metes and bounds lots, historical districts, etc. Once you receive approval from Zoning Administration, you will take one site plan and one set of plans (both copies must be stamped and signed by the Zoning Administrator) to the Inspection Department to complete the building permit process.
- A certified homebuilder holding a homebuilders licensure card and also licensed in the City of Huntsville as a Residential Homebuilder may purchase the permit. The owner of the property may also purchase a building permit if the property owner plans to live in the house at least a year. Homeowners must provide a copy of the deed to the property in order to purchase a building permit. (THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED)
Alterations and Repairs require
- A completed building permit
- A list of alterations or repairs
Demolition Permits requires
- A completed building permit application
COMMERCIAL PROPERTY BUILDING PERMITS
Two (2) full sets of plans and specifications stamped by a certified design professional in the State of Alabama if the building is over 2,500 square feet in size, or is an assembly, educational, institutional, or hazardous occupancy.
A completed Building Permit Application
- If the project received a Board of Zoning Adjustment variance or special exception approval, then a copy of the letter of approval must accompany the building application.
- A Building Permit Routing Form
- If the project is covered by the City of Huntsville’s Master Plan, then a letter must be submitted showing the project has been through the Planning Commission giving approval for “Location/Character/and Extent.”
- Application for the City of Huntsville Planning Commission Location, Character, and Extent. Please be aware of turn in dates for the Commission.
- If the project is for a building or any addition to a building in any of the Research Park Districts, then an approval letter from the Research Park Board must be accompanied with the building application.
- Cummings Research Park has established a 75 page Design Development Guide which details their design approvals process.
Once you receive approval from Zoning Administration, you will take two (2) full sets of plans (both copies must be stamped and signed by the Zoning Administrator) to the Inspection Department to complete the building permit process.