The City of Huntsville, Alabama, maintains a uniform and equitable pay plan which consists, for each class of positions, of minimum and maximum rates of pay and such intermediate steps as deemed necessary and equitable. Factors relevant to the maintenance of sound compensation practices include the following: ranges of pay in other classes; prevailing rates of pay for similar employment in both public and private organizations; cost of living factors; other benefits received by employees; the financial policy and economic consideration of the City; regulatory laws; and, the ability of the City to recruit and retain qualified personnel.
INITIAL APPOINTMENT RATE
- Upon initial appointment, the entrance rate for new hires shall normally be the minimum rate of the salary grade for the position classification involved. In exceptional cases where an applicant for a position may have qualifications distinctly above and beyond the minimum qualifications required for the classification, or in cases where recruiting efforts have failed to fill a position at the minimum rate, the Mayor with City Council approval may authorize entrance at a rate above the minimum rate.
- Individuals hired for the position of Police Officer who have three (3) or more years of continuous full-time Alabama Peace Officers’ Standards and Training Commission (APOSTC) certified law enforcement experience shall be hired at above the minimum rate. Those individuals hired for the position of Police Officer who are not APOSTC certified police officers shall be eligible for hire at above the minimum rate provided they meet the following conditions:
- Currently employed police officers must have three or more years of continuous, sworn full-time civilian law enforcement experience and must possess a current and valid Peace Officers Standards and Training certificate from the state the applicant received training and that certificate must be in good standing; or,
- Previously employed police officers who were continuously employed as a sworn full-time civilian law enforcement officer with three (3) or more years of certified law enforcement experience must have less than two (2) years break in service at time of new hire and their law enforcement certification must have been in good standing with the certifying agency at the time of separation.
- All non POSTC certified lateral applicants must further comply with APOSTC rule 650-X-03.
These individuals with three (3) to five (5) years APOSTC certified law enforcement experience or other state certified law enforcement experiences (as previously described) shall be hired at one (1) step above the minimum rate. Such individuals with more than five (5) years APOSTC certified law enforcement experience or other state certified law enforcement experience (as previously described) shall be hired at two (2) steps above the minimum rate.
- Individuals hired for the position classification of Firefighter who have three (3) or more years of paid professional firefighter experience and who are currently certified or certifiable as a professional firefighter, level one, by the Alabama State Personnel and Standards Commission shall be hired at above the minimum rate. Such individuals who three (3) to five (5) years paid firefighter experience shall be hired at one (1) step above the minimum rate. Such individuals with more than five (5) years paid firefighter experience shall be hired at two (2) steps above the minimum rate.
- Upon request by the Department Head or Division Manager, eligible full-time employees shall be authorized the progressive increase of one step, effective on the employee’s anniversary date (employment date, date of promotion, date of reclassification, if applicable, or other date established by Ordinance).