Huntsville Police to Start Operation Safe Shop
November 22, 2016
This Holiday Season shoppers in Huntsville can expect to see a heavy police presence around local malls and shopping centers. Beginning Friday November 25, 2016, and continuing through Saturday December 24, 2016, extra officers will be assigned specifically to patrol and monitor the parking lots and stores of our shopping areas. Additionally, many businesses will be hiring off duty Huntsville Police Officers to be visible in and around their stores. Police Chief Mark McMurray said, “We want everyone to have a memorable holiday season, and the Huntsville Police Department will make every effort to ensure everyone has an enjoyable shopping experience”.
The Huntsville Police Department would like to remind shoppers of the following safety and crime prevention tips.
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- When shopping after dark park in a well-lit highly visible area. Avoid parking behind buildings and other places where there is very little traffic.
- Shop with others. By shopping with a friend or family member your chances of being a crime victim are dramatically lowered.
- If you do find yourself leaving stores alone ask the store for an escort to your vehicle if you do not feel comfortable. Many malls and stores gladly provide escorts for shoppers.
- While shopping make sure you never leave personal items unattended in shopping carts.
- Have your keys in your hand when walking to and from your vehicle, and use the alarm or alert button to signal help if something is wrong.
- Keep your vehicle locked and make sure valuables are secured in the trunk or out of sight.
- If you have more packages than you can carry comfortably, ask the store for assistance in getting them to your vehicle.
- Last but not least, if you see any suspicious activity notify Huntsville Police. For emergencies call 911, but if it doesn’t pose an immediate emergency call (256)722-7100. Be prepared to give detailed information about the location and description of the activity. Remember, SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.