Earth Month 2021: Huntsville Cleanup Events Scheduled
Published on April 14, 2021
Citizens will have plenty of opportunities to help clean up their surroundings this month as the City of Huntsville celebrates Earth Month.
Weekly cleanups will keep Operation Green Team and volunteers busy from dawn to dusk. With Earth Day approaching on April 22, opportunities abound for those who want to leave the world a little better than they found it.
The month’s main attraction will be a household hazardous waste collection event, set for Saturday, April 17, at Hays Nature Preserve. Operation Green Team, along with the Solid Waste Disposal Authority, the City of Huntsville and the Alabama Cooperative Education System, are coordinating the drive-thru effort.
From 8 a.m. to noon, residents can drop off household hazardous waste like paint, chemicals and old electronics. Attendees will receive free giveaways while supplies last, including cucumber and tomato plants, popcorn and cotton candy. The Alabama Cooperative Extension System will provide seed packets and a children’s activity.
The collection event is also part of the Keep America Beautiful Great American Cleanup initiative. To celebrate, Operation Green Team will host cleanups throughout spring to help Keep Huntsville beautiful.
Great American Cleanup events include:
- April 17: Ditto Landing Cleanup, 8 a.m. – noon, 293 Ditto Landing Road S.E.
- April 17: Household Hazardous Waste Collection, 8 a.m. – noon, 7161 U.S. 431
- April 24: Spring Branch/Brahan Spring Park Cleanup, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., 2107 Drake Ave.
- May 8: Oakwood Area Cleanup, 9 a.m. – noon, 2601 Oakwood Ave. N.W.
- June 12: Five Points Neighborhood Cleanup, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m., Lewter Park
Call 256-53-CLEAN for more information on all upcoming Great American Cleanup events.