Winter Weather Event Preparation
Published on January 5, 2017
The City of Huntsville and area agencies are preparing for a potential winter weather event on Friday, Jan. 5. Forecasters say the Tennessee Valley may receive up to two inches of snow, but whether or not Huntsville receives a dusting, frigid temperatures will grip the area.
- Huntsville’s Public Transit will begin offering free bus service to warming shelters at 3 p.m. today through close of business on Friday, Jan. 6.
- Police patrol officers will keep a check on areas frequented by the homeless community in an attempt to ensure everyone is safe from the elements.
- Public Works crews are prepared to treat major roadways.
- Road conditions and closures will be posted through the Nixle Alert System and posted to the City’s Twitter page.
- In the event City Hall and non-essential municipal operations close on Friday, the City will notify media and post a notice on the City’s website.
For resource information regarding municipal services, please visit our Winter Weather Alert page.
Citizens are advised to remain weather aware by tuning in to local media and the National Weather Service. Please check on neighbors, senior citizens, and ensure pets are brought indoors.